Deaf Smith County Courthouse

Deaf Smith County Courthouse

1st Courthouse

Building Completion Date: 1891
County Seat: La Plata / Hereford
Present Status: Gone.
Architectural Style: Second Empire
General Contractor: John A. White (of Vernon)
Building Materials/Description: 2 story, wood frame, 76′ x 96′, $41,000, moved from La Plata to Hereford in 1898, still existing in 1970

2nd Courthouse

Building Completion Date: 1910
County Seat: Hereford
Present Status: Existing. Active.
Architect: Walter W. Chamberlin
Architectural Firm: Chamberlin & Co. (of Birmingham, Alabama)
Architectural Style: Classical Revival
General Contractor: Falls City Construction Co.
Building Materials/Description: Four story brick courthouse constructed of Georgia marble veneer and brick. The building was the second marble courthouse built in the U.S.. The main facade features a classical portico with very simple columns with no capitals and a pediment rising above. Cost to build: $125,000