Tom Green County Courthouse

Tom Green County Courthouse

1st Courthouse

Building Completion Date: 1876
County Seat: San Angelo
Present Status: Gone

2nd Courthouse

Building Completion Date: 1882
County Seat: San Angelo
Present Status: Gone
Building Materials/Description: 2-story, $18,000

3rd Courthouse

Building Completion Date: 1885
County Seat: San Angelo
Present Status: Gone. Demolished 1927
Architect: W. W. Larmour original architect with Oscar Ruffini supervising
Architectural Style: Second Empire
General Contractor: J. H. Walker was replaced by John C. Lillis
Building Materials/Description: Stone, $70,000. Plans originated with W.W. Larmour (of San Antonio) but were used without permission by the contractor J. H. Walker for the Tom Green County Courthouse – The supervising architect for the Tom Green County Courthouse was Oscar Ruffini who sent a copy of the plans and a photo of the courthouse to his brother Frederick Ernst Ruffini (of Austin) who in turn modified them for the Blanco County Courthouse and for contractor Captain James B. Smith who then used the Ruffini design for the Callahan County Courthouse and the Concho County Courthouse. – Oscar Ruffini then reused the F. E. Ruffini plans for the Mills and Sutton County Courthouses.

4th Courthouse

Building Completion Date: 1928
County Seat: San Angelo
Present Status: Existing. Active.
Architect: Anton Korn
Architectural Style: Classical Revival
General Contractor: F. O. B. Montgomery
Building Materials/Description: Brick, cast stone, $240,000

National Register Narrative

Symmetrical, two-story, flat-roofed civic building with half basement. Monumental Corinthian colonnade on two facades dominate the composition and support a full entablature and high roof parapet. Glazed curtain wall behind columns contrasts with the masonry end bays punched with 6/6 sash and trimmed with stone. A tier of broad steps lead up to the three sets of pedimented double doors. Interior ceiling decoration and brass details were restored between 1981-83. Circular fountain is notable landscape feature in entry approach.

Built in 1928 for $240,000, this monumental structure reflects the era of considerable prosperity during the 1920’s, and the importance county residents attached to county government. Designed by Dallas architect Anton Korn, the courthouse is an excellent example of Classical Revival architecture, significant to San Angelo as well as the rest of Texas. Significant interior detailing.


Posted on

July 19, 2017