Hays County Courthouse

Hays County Courthouse

1st Courthouse

Building Completion Date: 1861
County Seat: San Marcus
Present Status: Gone. Burned 1868
General Contractor: C. E. Millett (of Austin)
Building Materials/Description: 2 story, 40′ x 36′, pine wood with stone foundation. $2,000

2nd Courthouse

Building Completion Date: 1869
County Seat: San Marcus
Present Status: Gone. Partly burned 1876, demolished 1881
Building Materials/Description: $13,500, 45′ x 53′ soft stone, ordered sold and removed from square on 8/10/1881

3rd Courthouse

Building Completion Date: 1882
County Seat: San Marcus
Present Status: Gone. Burned 1908
Architect: Frederick Ernst Ruffini
Architectural Style: Second Empire
Building Materials/Description: Stone. $27,474. Nearly identical to the Robertson County Courthouse (1881) and the Williamson County Courthouse (1879)

4th Courthouse

Building Completion Date: 1908
County Seat: San Marcus
Present Status: Existing. Active
Architect: C.H. Page and Brother
Architectural Style: Renaissance Revival with Beaux Arts influences
General Contractor: Francis Fisher and R.C. Lambie
Building Materials/Description: The 3-story gray and buff colored Elgin brick and Cedar Point (Travis County) limestone structure sits on a rusticated brick base. $57,000. Exterior trim including the window and door facings and string course between the first and second floor are white limestone. sim. To Fort Bend, Elevator installed in 1950. The original double height courtroom was divided in 1964, with the courtroom moved to the third floor space, and offices located on the second floor.


Posted on

July 17, 2017